- Adopt the “ladies first” attitude
- Egyptians tend to keep a close distance in face-to-face conversation
- Repeat your offer several times.
- Egyptians often ignore the first offer because an offer made only once may be just a gesture
- Hosting dinner is a common practice to reciprocate hospitality and show your gratitude.
- Remove your shoes when one is visiting a mosque, mausoleum, or “madrasa”
- Drugs, alcohol and pork are considered unclean in Muslim society
- Religious recruitment or conversion attempts are illegal in Egypt
- Pornography in any form (e.g., magazines, photos, video) is prohibited
- It's bad etiquette for men to talk to Egyptian women they don't know
- Tips or other gratuities may offend some business people or professionals as degrading
- It's dangerous to walk alone deserted areas
- Don't accept anything (including polite invitations) from strangers